JT Phillips Insurance Agency History
Since 1898, the JT Phillips Insurance Company has been providing insurance to residents of the North Country through an office located in Ogdensburg. The agency was originally started by Charles Simmons and Lee Phillips (no relation to current owner). The business was then called Simmons and Phillips Insurance. James T. Phillips Sr. acquired the business around 1950 just after attending Clarkson University. He also started a real estate business called Phillips Real Estate in 1955, which he still owns today. Mr. Phillips then bought the historical house originally built in 1849, that houses the insurance office today in 1982 and restored it. Mr. Phillips then incorporated the insurance business in 1985, with the name J.T. Phillips Insurance Agency, Inc.

In 1994 James T. Phillips Jr. took over his father's insurance business which now has been located at the historical site for nearly 30 years. In 2008, the company opened a second office and has been providing service in Morristown. Owner, Broker, and President James Phillips has been providing all kinds of insurances. "[We provide] aircrafts, boats, yachts, cars, homes, and businesses, we do everything!"

Phillips is a member of the United Neighborhood Agency. The UNA is a group of 12 independent insurance agents across Northern New York. According to their website, "United Neighborhood Agency is a group of 12 independent insurance agencies in Northern New York that have banded together to provide our customers and communities with unparalleled insurance expertise, advice and service."